Wednesday, October 13, 2010

shmokin'.

I've been wondering for a while now...  Should smoking in fashion bother me?  Honestly, I've never been a fan of the ol' cancer sticks.  As an occasional (maybe twice a year?) smoker, I hate that my younger brothers smoke at the ripe old age of 17.  I hate that they are putting their health at risk in an attempt (maybe?) to be seen as older and more mature and fit in with their friends.  Both my parents have always been smokers and I have spent approximately 20 years trying to convince them both to quit.  But to no avail.  Many of my friends smoke, but I think it's safe to say that smoking is just not for me.

An ever controversial issue is the promotion of smoking in fashion.  I don't like the fact that it may promote smoking to younger audiences.  I disapprove that the creative directors may be trying to push smoking into the spotlight, conveying it as fashionable and sophisticated.

However (and I know I am being totally hypocritical here after what I have just written), I don't disaprove of the use of smoking in fashion.  I find models smoking in fashion editorials somehow effortlessly cool, unkempt, edgy even.  There is just something about Kate Moss smoking a cigarette without a top on that just appeals to me.  There's something about the rough toughness of a dirty cigarette in the mouth of beautiful model that creates a contrast that I love.

What do you think?  Do you find the rebellious nature of smoking in fashion appealing or just plain wrong?

C x
Photo Credits: #1 Fashionising, #2 Fashionspirations, #4 Film Noir Photos, #3, #5, #6, #7, #8 Le Smoking

2 comments:

E R I N said...

i dislike smoking in a huge way but i absolutely love people holding them in photos!!

the effortlessly-cool-pose-factor kicks in for some reason... its a strange strange thing!

jojo the hoehoe said...

schmoke-an-a-pancake?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...